Wild Wild West
This year Cannes hosted the highest ever number of Indian celebrities. Along with the usual suspects including Aishwarya Rai Bacchchan and Sonam Kapoor Ahuja, the gorgeous Deepika Padukone, Kangana Ranaut, & Diana Penty also sizzled the red carpet at the prestigious cinema event.
Every star that shines at the Cannes Red Carpet wants to make a bigger splash than the others and going by the sartorial choices of our own Hindi cinema's celebrated divas this year, the Cannes red carpet was all about a bold, larger than life, flirty aesthetic.
The French Riviera was doused with a generous dose of Indian glitterati and our home bred stars did not disappoint at the international event.
We bring you some moments of the Indian divas at the prestigious Cannes red carpet. Here is a look at the top red carpet appearances of Indian leading ladies at the festival:
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan : She came, she saw, she conquered. Undoubtedly a veteran of the Cannes red carpet, it did take a good few years for the svelte Mrs. Junior Bachchan to get her Cannes wardrobe right but having impressed us in her last few appearances she has not looked back to her earlier floundering outings. This year was no different and Aishwarya was an angel floating past on a cloud - truly a spectacle to behold in this voluminous white feathers & tulle number by Ashi Studio.
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja : Rarely has Sonam Kapoor registered a miss at any of her Cannes appearances, but this year was perhaps her most powerful presence yet on the prestigious red carpet. She presented a powerful but elegant appearance in this white tuxedo gown ensemble by Ralph and Russo paired with glittering emeralds and a regal train. We love the unexpected but elegant twist. The simple hair and understated make up let the outfit do all the talking. Go for it Sonam !
- Kangana Ranaut: It is hard to believe that she dazzled us as a debutante at Cannes only last year when you look at Kangana’s classic cape pant suit with understated embellishments. The tout noir outfit featuring a plunging neckline and the fierce makeup with minimal hair and jewellery wins hands down over any LBD in the world. Once a queen, forever a queen.
- Deepika Padukone : A Rani in her own right, Deepika seemed to still be reeling in the Met Gala 'Camp' theme fever with her OTT lime green tulle gown by Italian designer Giambattista Valli , but we love whatever you do Deepika and you are the reigning Rani of hearts. Green is also the colour of jealousy but we have only appreciative applause for your magnificent outing.
- Priyanka Chopra : After having slayed at the Met Gala Priyanka Chopra's should have been the most notable debut from the Indian pavilion. However she completely missed the mark in this ombre glitter encrusted gown and coupled with her winged eyeliner and vintage wavy hair, this appearance was more of a throw back to her own initial Bollywood days. Surprising miss from the fashion forward Mrs. Jonas.
- Hina Khan: The surprise element from the Indian pavilion this year was Hina Khan whose grace and oomph belied her debutante status at the red carpet. She made a dazzling appearance in this silver jewel encrusted number by Ziad Nakad featuring a plunging neckline and Cannes did not disappoint the hard working actor where she had a truly wonderful time.
- Diana: Another debut from the Indian Pavilion Diana held her own among the veterans and the bigwigs and her flirty, voluminous dress from Nedret Taciroglu flattered her youthful poise and gamine like presence at the prestigious event.
- Huma Kureshi: Huma has been visible at the Cannes festival for a few times now and although it is not a fresh silhouette we can't help but crush on her black sequinned blazer dress from Balmain. Perhaps she could have given the unflattering gold pumps a miss for an ankle strap cage heel or a snake print booties, but no sweat Huma, kudos for an over-all daring outing.
Slowly but surely Indian Cinema is making its presence felt across the globe and fashion too is following suite, with Cannes being a much awaited event and meeting point for a celebration of both these glamorous fields.
Now that it has ended we are already waiting for the next edition of the festival to sweep us off our feet, but don't be disheartened, look out for our next edit on the Cannes 2019 showcasing Indian wear at the festival.
Images Courtesy: 1. DNA 2-4 Instagram. 5. DNA. 6. Instagram. 7. DNA 8.Instagram 9 Instagram.
Article By : Bhavna R